Restaurant Review: The Green Bar

by - April 23, 2014

  There is nothing on earth that makes me happier than good, wholesome food. I just love the little thrill you get every time you discover a new place that makes food you adore. Being a health-food advocate, you can imagine that finding such places are even harder. Do not get me wrong! The health food scene in Singapore is growing, and I couldn’t be more pleased. But it isn’t as established as it is in the western part of the world. Sure, there is this idea that Asian food does tend to be on the healthier side in general, but I believe every cuisine has its saints and sinners.

  I love the way you just know that every ingredient on your plate has been carefully considered, sourced and cooked. That there are at least fifty different colours in your dish and none of them artificial. The way you just seem to glow after eating it. My kind of food.
  When I heard about the Green bar I just knew I had to give it a try. A whole place dedicated to salads? Salad, the kind of dish that usually only features once of twice in a regular restaurant’s menu.
True test of a salad bar: Bring a carnivorous salad hater


  I know what you are thinking: Salads? Surely they have been overdone; surely nothing about leaves in a bowl could possibly be exciting, or enticing?
  But because The Green Bar focuses primarily on salads, nothing about their menu is boring. Whether you are a herbivore or a carnivore, there is a salad for you. In fact, there is probably more than one. I had trouble making up my mind.
  So let me give you the low down: you will find none of the overdone, generic salads in the Green Bar. Each salad on its menu is unique to the café itself and in the best way possible.

  Your salad comes served to you in one of these divine wooden bowls. And yes, the salads are huge. They are massive. So you never, ever have to feel like it isn’t enough. Also, as a perk, there is a bread bar where you can help yourself to some free bread. Dipped in olive oil and balsamic? Perfection.

  My only critique would be that my salad seemed too perfect to eat. But at the end of the day, hunger got the better of me.
Watermelon and Feta // Smoked Duck


The Verdict? The smoked duck salad was mopped up, and said anti-salad sister proclaimed 'I could like salads now'. The watermelon and feta went together in a way I would never have imagined, and I am now a beetroot convert. Beetroot rocks.

  So if you do live in Singapore, or are planning to pay a visit, make sure The Green Bar is on your list. It’s now on mine.  It has three outlets that are perfectly situated across this teensy island. So transport is not an issue. Be prepared to want to devour every item on their menu.

Millenia Walk, 9 Raffles Boulevard #01-91B,
Tel: +65 63360780,
Opening Hours 1030am – 930pm Daily

16 Colley Quay Hitachi Towers #01-16/17 Singapore 049318,
Tel: +65 64936948,
Opening Hours: 11:00am – 8:00pm

ARC, 460 Alexandra Road, #02-12A/K1, Singapore 119963

You May Also Like

0 comments