Socca Waffles with Sumac Roasted Veg

by - July 20, 2014

Note to self: Baby asparagus cooks MUCH MORE quickly than its non-baby counterpart
  I constantly am in dire need of a new piece of kitchen equipment. Last month, ask me what I needed (yes, NEEDED) more than anything, and I would have told you a vitamix. Well, now that three years of saving has finally paid off (and don't get me wrong, my vitamix is still my all time fav machine), the next thing on the cooking-thingamabob checklist is a good non-stick pan. 
  Since the fam is strongly against teflon, the market for a good, cheap and EFFECTIVE non-stick pan has drastically narrowed. Ceramic titanium would probably be my best bet, but keep this in mind: after my vitamix, I am worse than broke. 
  Yes, there is such a thing.

  So, instead of putting off socca making due to the lack of a cast-iron skillet/non-stick pan, I have decided to make it anyway. Surprise, surprise. Using the only non-stick cooking device I have, my happy call waffle maker.
  Also it helps that, for me, waffles > pancakes/crepes/flat things. Why? Because, my friends, waffles are studded with little square pits that a perfect for trapping and forming little delicious wells of maple syrup.


  But this is not a sweet recipe, so make that wells of cherry tomato juice that has BURST out of it's slow roasted, caramelised, blistered skin.
  Now we're talking.



  When it comes to toppings, I am less opinionated. I ate mine with roasted veg and a side of puy lentils (which, annoyingly, I forgot to add to the photoshoot). But I have also eaten it with dhal, curries, hummus, salsa, guac... anything creamy and dreamy that compliments the spongy socca.
  If you can't find a thick waffle-maker, like the kind that cooks liege or belgian waffles, you can make it in a thinner norwegian waffle maker, or go the traditional route and fry it like a pancake. Although I do strongly suggest the waffles, because it is fun. And who doesn't like fun?
Possibly my favourite part of waffle making (after eating them, of course)
In case you were wondering, I ate both. The separate plates were for artistic purposes only


Socca Waffles with Sumac Roasted Veg
Serves: One

1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp flax + 6 tsp water left to sit until thickened
Pink himalayan salt, to taste

8 large cherry tomatoes
1/2 a red pepper, sliced
7 baby (or non) asparagus shoots
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sumac +1 tsp thyme (or 2 tsp za'atar)
Pink himalayan salt, to taste
1 tsp light olive oil

1/2 cup Puy Lentils, or canned green lentils mixed with a little garlic powder and salt

Mix the first seven ingredients and let it sit in a covered bowl for about 30 minutes.

While the batter rests, preheat the oven to 200C, mix the tomatoes, pepper slices and asparagus shoots with the balsamic, sumac, thyme, salt and olive oil, then spread on a lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until the skin of the cherry tomato is blistered and slightly browned in places.

While the veg roasts, preheat a waffle pan and cook according to maker's instructions, I got two liege waffles out of this batter, but if you use a larger waffle mould you may only get one. It took me about 5 minutes for my waffles to cook over the stove, but the time varies according to your waffle iron. You are done when the waffle has become slightly golden and crisp-looking.

Serve the waffles with Puy lentils and roasted veg. Then eat. Obviously.

If you are looking to serve the waffles another way, bake the batter in the same manner then top with either a good indian dhal, guacamole and beans, salsa and tofu-sour cream, paprika hummus and veg... you know the drill by now :P


You May Also Like

0 comments