Healthy Cookie Dough (version 2.0)

by - August 11, 2014


  Yes, I am in love with my single serve cookie dough recipe. It's perfect for one. It's perfect as a topping for oatmeal or banana ice cream or on a cupcake to fancy it up a lil' bit. But, that's the problem. It's single serve. It does not make a lot. 
  And there are day when a lil' bit of cookie dough just isn't enough. You feel me?


  Enter cookie dough 2.0. it makes a bucket full that lasts me 4 days, maximum. It's perfect for eating with a spoon, on crackers or pretzels. Or 4 consecutive days of massive banana ice cream portions.
  Also, simply scaling up my previous recipe didn't seem to be good enough. I wanted to improve it. So I tackled several issues which I felt were slightly amiss in my single serve cookie dough.


(1) It wasn't creamy-dreamy smooth enough. So I did enough research on our friend, the chickpea. I read that if you wanted hummus that was silky smooth, you had to skin the chickpea after cooking. So you blended up the naked little chickpeas instead. Peeling chickpeas IS a time-consuming process. So it is completely optional, but it is incredibly therapeutic (or so I found). Here is a little tutorial on how to coax your chickpeas out of their skins.

(2) Salt. Duh.
(3) My previous recipe had peanut butter in it. Which is great, but it did give the cookie dough a VERY peanut butter taste. As you would expect. But sometimes you want cookie dough sans the peanut cookie-ness. So enter tahini. Now this recipe is nut-allergy friendly. Perfecto.
(4) I added a little oat flour to up the raw-cookie-dough taste. Something about oats...
(5) Coconut Milk. Duh.



  I have added cacao nibs here, because I really like the bitter taste they give and how it pairs so well with the sweet dough. But you can use chocolate chips, if you have good dairy-free ones. Or you can make my raw chocolate, smash it up into itty bitty bits and stir that in instead.


Cookie Dough 2.0
Makes: 4 generous portions

1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas, skinned
1/3 cup white tahini (you may use any other nut butter if you wish but it will leave a strong flavour of the respective nut. Cashew would be the mildest and the best)
1/4 cup coconut sugar, or any other sweetener
2 tbsp full fat coconut milk, more or less may be needed depending on softness of chickpeas
1/4 cup oat flour
Generous pinch of himalayan sea salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cacao nibs, more for sprinkling

If possible, use the chickpeas when still warm, and not from the fridge. They are much easier to blend this way. If you are cooking your own chickpeas, which I recommend, I would boil them a little bit longer so make them softer. Drench them in cold water after cooking, making the skins easier to peel. Once they have been peeled they will have cooled down a lot, but it is still better for blending than refrigerated ones.

Pop the chickpeas in the blender and blend into a smooth paste. Add the tahini, sugar, oat flout and vanilla, and continue to blend. Add the coconut milk, you may need a little more if it isn't smooth enough to your liking. Season with sea salt. Decant it into a glass bowl and stir in the cacao nibs.



You May Also Like

0 comments