Raw Vegan Snickers

by - August 01, 2014


  I feel like the title of this post is not entirely appropriate. Because these are better, so so much better, than a real snickers bar. 
  WHY?
  Well, firstly, instead of the peanuts, I have decided to use almonds. Because I love almonds. Almonds>Peanuts. (But I still love peanuts kay?) 
  Secondly, these beauties are made of pure, unrefined goodness. No sneaky chemicals. No artificial flavours. Tastes fab, makes yah feel fab.



    Are you loving it already?


  My quest to raw-ify and health-ify the snickers bar began in a coffee shop with my grandfather. Let's just say he is very fond of his desserts (winky face). This coffee shop in particular served homemade snickers pie. ooohhhh, ahhhh. Probably a tad bit better for you than the original snickers bar (or not), but it had a LOOOONNNGGG way to go.


   So I promised my grandfather I would make him healthy snickers bar. Challenge accepted. Sasha VS the candy bar. 
  And I am pretty sure I have won this one.


  So what is in a snickers bar? I was not too sure. I was not allowed to eat it, growing up. I have had it several times during my rebellious phase (which consisted mainly of peanut MNMS), but I was never one to dissect what was in a candy bar when I was younger. 
  So, I had to use the magical powers of google. A snickers bar is a peanut chocolate bar with a nougat layer topped with another layer of caramel and peanuts, both encased in a thick milk chocolate layer.
  Onwards!


The nougat needed to be chewy, sweet. With a slight peanut almond flavour. And slightly sweet. not too much, that was the caramel's job.


   The caramel itself was peasy. Anyone acquainted with raw-vegan desserts knows that dates are a perfect caramel substitute. Insanely sweet, gooey and chewy. Add a little salt for some extra punch and a lil' lucuma for an additional caramelly flavour. Caramel: done.



  The hardest part of this recipe is the waiting. It is the freezing and the setting. Who has patience when it comes to dessert?
  Not me.
  But because I love you guys (I truly do) I only had the little extra bits left in my vitamix after blending.
  Yes ok, maybe I did not clean out the container completely just so I had a LOT extra to munch on. But I have given you raw snickers so now you must forgive me.
  (You must!)

Look at dat chocolat


  After the final chocolate layer, I popped mine in the freezer. I am currently in Singapore where temperatures hit the thirties. yes, it is gloriously hot. But it also not too fab for raw vegan chocolate. So I had to pop mine in the freezer (hence the terrible condensation-sheen. I apologise), but if you don't live in the tropics, or if it isn't too hot a summer, the fridge should do just fine.
 If you live in the polar regions, however, this would possibly do just as well sitting on your windowsill.


  Ok, I taunt you too much. Let's get down to it.

Okay, so this one did not last the entire photoshoot
Raw Vegan Snickers
Makes: 10 slightly larger 'fun sized' bars 

Nougat:
1 cup rolled oats* (can sub for kasha if strictly raw)
1 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp agave syrup

Caramel:
1 tbsp raw lucuma powder
1 cup medjool dates, measured with pits then removed after (about 12 large dates)
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp himalayan sea salt
1/4 tsp vanilla

20 almonds

Chocolate:
4 tbsp cacao powder
4 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp agave syrup

Blend the oats until a flour is formed, add in almond butter and agave then blend until a dough is formed. Press this dough into the base of two small loaf pans (about 5 inches by 3 inches). Place in the freezer.

Blend pitted dates, lucuma, water, salt and vanilla into a consistent gooey paste. Divide evenly and place each half over the nougat layer. Arrange almonds over the date layer and press down slightly to wedge it into the caramel. Freeze for about half an hour.

Prepare the chocolate by mixing the cacao, coconut oil and agave into an even batter. Remove loaf pans from the freezer, pop them out of the pans and slice into five bars each, giving you a total of ten bars. Place the naked bars on some parchment paper on top of a baking tray. Now spoon an layer of thick chocolate on top each bar. Return the bars to the freezer (or fridge: see above), and let them set for about an hour before impressing your friends.

*if you are gluten-free, gluten free oats can be used










You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. these look sooooo good! i can't wait to make these!!!!! i really like this blog and i am looking forward to many new posts. my sister and i recently started our own blog, would you mind checking it out? we would really appreciate it :) http://turnipforwhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hope it goes well :) Just paid you a visit, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete